My Classroom

My Classroom

Monday, February 28, 2011

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo

In our classroom (and just about every pre-kindergarten classroom) there is an area called the dramatic play area.  This area is set up for children to pretend play.  My dramatic play area has child sized  furniture such as washer, sink, refrigerator, small cabinets, table and chairs, couch, high chair, crib, and a closet.  There are also babydolls, dress-up clothes, and a lot of play food.  While there materials are permanent and stay around all year I also have a secondary theme that get changed out about every other week.  This week since we are talking about transportation our theme for the dramatic play is a train station.
Here are some pictures of our train station.

Train with chairs behind it for passengers

complete with tickets, and cash register

Conductors hat


 I was taking some observations in this area, and I would like to share some of the things that are being said as he students are pretending to be at a train station.

"Tickets, who needs tickets?"
"Excuse me, where's the ticket line?"
"We gotta go to the dance in Alaska, let's get our tickets."
"I was workin the ticket line Ms. Lisa."
"Passengers need to get tickets from the train man, the conductor."
"I drive the train and take the passengers to America."
"I was the ticket helper, but then I was the son riding on the train."

There were some interesting conversations going on, and we were using a lot of new vocabulary.  All in all we are having a lot of fun with this theme.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment