My Classroom

My Classroom

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Where does snow come from?

Finally, I have the time to start writing.  After having a whole week off for SNOW IN ATLANTA I am finally able to get my students back on track.  To go right along with this crazy winter we are having we have been talking about everything winter this week.  It is so funny the things that you think everyone knows, but really until children are taught they do not know.  Today I ask the question “Where does snow come from?” and when I called on a student he answered with a complete straight face, “it comes from a snow machine in the sky.”  Other answers I got were, “a snow factory”, “God”, “Santa Clause”, and a couple said, “the clouds”.  These responses led to a discussion on clouds, and how we can tell what weather to expect by looking at the sky.  All in all it was a great topic.

Just after the New Year we added a new addition to our classroom.  Our new assistant teacher is a great addition, and the students love her.  Today one of my students, let’s call him A, had a conversation with our new teacher that I think is something students are often curious about.  However, not all of them always voice their curiosity.  Here is how their conversation went:
“Do you have a boy?” A
“What do you mean? Do you mean do I have a son?”
“No, I mean do you have a boy? You Know?” A
“Do you mean a boyfriend?”
“Yeah” A
“No I don’t have a boyfriend”
“Oh, well why don’t you have one or any kids?” A
………
The conversation kind of dwindled off there as it was time to go home, and I think we change the subject.  I love the children don’t have any problem just asking something if they want to now, and I think that adults could take some advice from this as well.

While the new teacher is asked about her love life, I was asked about my age.  I always tell them to guess my age to see if the can match the stages of life with some sort of age.  For example, some say that I am 6 since they know that I am older than them, and 6 is more than 5.  However, today I had one boy guess that I am 65.  WOW, since I am only 24 I guess we will have to work on that.

Tomorrow I will post pic of some of our winter art work we are working on.

My day written in finger paint;

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment