My Classroom

My Classroom

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Special Delivery

I love it when one of my students is welcoming a new sibling into their family.  We have an expectant mother who is due in just a couple weeks so it has been a topic of discussion lately. Today I let the students share stories about thier family with the class and he informed us that his mom was going to have a baby girl next week at the doctor.  Now, of course, you know this brought up the idea in other minds as well.  Here is the conversation I had with the next little girl who shared,

“Ms. Lisa, my mom is going to buy a baby.”
“Oh really, how come?”
“Because we want a baby.”
“Where is she going to buy it from?”
“I don’t know, probably we’ll baby sit it first, and then buy it.”

I think these are the kind of stories my mom was always afraid I would tell at school, but don’t worry I’m pretty sure there is no baby buying going on in my class.

Now, as promised, a couple samples of our winter art work:

Shaving Crème Snowmen


I mix together shaving crème and glue so that when it dries on the paper it stays the same as when it’s wet.  This was a great project for sensory as well as following directions.  Some of them were afraid or not sure about taking out a hand full of the shaving crème, and others could not wait to get messy. 
Next, we added faces, arms, and legs to our snowmen. 




Painting with Ice Cubes:

This is one of my favorites every year. They take an ice cube and paint on their paper with it.  This is very messy and wet, but it is great for teaching the process of ice melting, and liquids and solids.  Some teachers also stick toothpicks in the ice, but I like having them feel the ice cubes, and controlling them without letting them slip all over.

These are just a couple projects we are working on right now, but don’t worry there’s always more to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment